As part of the continued “Porsche Design for Porsche Projects” collabora-tions, Porsche Design now offers a custom-made watch along with a sports car for the second time in its history. For this exclusive offer, Porsche Design has developed a high-end chronograph — driven by the brand’s first in-house movement — matching the uniqueness of a corresponding sports car. The Porsche Design Chronograph 911 GT2 RS, exclusively available for owners of the new 911 GT2 RS, who appreci-ate performance and exclusivity, thus coming closer to their personal dream of the perfect sports car.
The car and watch can be ordered exclusively at Porsche Centres around the world, as of June 30, 2017. Each will be manufactured according to specifications of the client’s individual order — linked by the sports car’s individual VIN number — and de-livered together. As a result of this program, Porsche Design extends the unique identity of the vehicle to its driver’s wrist.
Porsche Design Chronograph 911 GT2 RS – Racing Spirit on The Wrist
The flyback chronograph features Porsche Design’s new in-house movement, Cali-bre Werk 01.200, which is C.O.S.C. certified. This function allows the chronograph’s second hand to be stopped, returned to zero, and restarted instantly with just one push of a button for the measurement of intermediate and lap times. With this mas-terpiece, Porsche Design once again applies its vast engineering competencies to even the smallest mechanical masterpiece, drawing an unparalleled synergy be-tween both worlds. The development of Calibre Werk 01.200, with its complex fly-back mechanism, took three years. Like all products from the exclusive lifestyle brand, the automatic movement was designed through placing the highest demands on performance, and ease of use. Like the new 911 GT2 RS, the efficient design of-fers maximum functionality and performance.
As a result of the heat-treated coil spring, the movement delivers additional constant force transmission, among other features, to optimize the rate accuracy during in-creased load conditions over a longer period of time. Such increased load occurs, for instance, when time is stopped on the race track.
Just like the wheel transfers force from the engine to the road, the movement’s rotor is crucial for generating and transferring the mechanical energy in an automatic movement. Consequently, and with love for detail, the rotor is designed to resemble the wheel rim of the 911 GT2 RS.
The skeletonized rotor, however, presented a particular engineering challenge, due to its reduced surface area and weight. Due to these facts, Porsche Design utilizes tungsten in the rotor production, which is an innovative, yet difficult-to-process mate-rial A Porsche automobile’s typical central locking system with RS logo attaches the rotor to the movement, like its larger counterpart.
Also, Porsche’s Development Center for Motorsport was the catalyst in the design of the barrel bridge. In order to implement Porsche’s lightweight design, the bridges are load/stress optimised. The architecture of the movement is shaped to reveal the fas-cinating mechanism of the technically-complex flyback function. Calibre Werk 01.200 is not only the brand’s first manufacture movement, it has also earned a C.O.S.C. certificate for high-accuracy in all positions.
Exceptional Features – The Weissach Package
Thanks to its sporty design, the 42 mm titanium case is an instant eye-catcher. Like the sports car, painted in GT Metallic Silver with black accents, the black titanium-carbide-coating on the chronograph’s bezel and case back emulate the two-tone col-or scheme of the car. Looking at the dial, should be a constant reminder of the dream of a perfect sports car is, not only worthwhile, but a potential reality at any moment. Like the stabilizers, the connecting rods, the shifter paddles, and the steer-ing wheel cover, the dial is made of carbon fiber. It is reminiscent of the carbon fiber strips used in the 911 GT2 RS and refined with the original car lacquer. The time display reflects the instrument cluster and speedometer in the cockpit. A mechanical function display with “911 GT2 RS” logo indicates the smooth running of the movement and replaces the small seconds at the 9 o’clock position. The tachymeter scale, sitting on top of the rehaut, allows the calculation of average speeds, a feature creat-ed for the race track.
The Porsche Design Chronograph 911 GT2 RS delivers with two leather straps: one black leather/Alcantara and one red leather/Alcantara. Thanks to the interchangeable wristband system, both can be easily exchanged. Through the use of Alcantara leather, Porsche Design again draws the parallel to the sports car. The titanium fold-ing clasp, extends the lightweight-principle to a reliable fastening system. The sports car and chronograph are inseparably linked to the unique VIN, which is laser en-graved into the titanium case back of the timepiece.
Starting June 30, 2017, the Porsche Design Chronograph 911 GT2 RS will be exclu-sively available at Porsche Centres worldwide to future owners of the 911 GT2 RS sports car, suggested retail price in Germany incl. VAT starting at 9,450.00 Euro.
Technical Data Porsche Design Chronograph 911 GT2 RS
- Diameter: 42mm
- Height: 15,33 mm
- Material: Titanium, bezel and case back with black titanium carbide coating
- Crown: Screw-down with Clous-de-Paris décor for perfect grip
- Glass: Convex sapphire crystal with hard coating, scratch-proof and with sevenfold anti-glare properties on both sides
- Case back: Screw-down with sapphire crystal
- Water-resistant: Dynamically water-resistant up to 5 bar
- Carbon with original Porsche lacquer paint in GT Silver Metallic
- Black hands with white SuperLuminova coating for maximum readability, yellow chronograph hands
- Black leather strap with black Alcantara [sizes M and L], interchangeable wristband system and titanium folding clasp with pushers
- Red leather strap with red Alcantara [sizes M and L], interchangeable wristband system and titanium folding clasp with pushers
Technical Data Porsche Design Caliber Werk 01.200
Self-winding chronograph calibre with energy-optimized Porsche Design rotor resembling the magnesium wheels of the 911 GT2 RS Weissach Package
- Height: 8,50 mm
- Diameter: 13 ¼ ”’ [30,00 mm]
- Power Reserve: 48 hours
- Jewels: 25
- Frequency: 28,800 per hour [4 Hz]
- Regulator system ETACHRON and regulator corrector
- Balance: Glucydur
- Shock protection: Incabloc
- Mainspring: Nivaflex
- Bridges: load/stress optimised barrel bridge according to Porsche’s lightweight principle
- Winding: energy-optimised rotor
- Chronometer-certified (C.O.S.C.)
- Hour, minute, small seconds with mechanical function display at 9 o’clock
- Flyback chronograph:
- 30-minute counter at 12 o’clock
- 12-hour counter at 6 o’clock
- Central chronograph second hand
- Day of the week display at 4 o’clock with fast correction
- Matte black movement with chrome-plated bridges, plates and polished screws
- Engraved Porsche Design Icons
- Design and lacquer paint of the rotor according to the magnesium wheels of the 911 GT2 RS